Wednesday, February 10, 2010

SEX, POLITICS & RELIGION

My parents always told me that you never discuss SEX, POLITICS OR RELIGION, at a dinner party.
Those subjects are taboo. Too interesting. Are certain to lead to disharmony and discord.
Well, I guess I'm a rebel then.

I LOVE to talk about controversial issues. I love to debate. I love the exchange of ideas between intelligent, social conscious individuals.

Please notice I said DEBATE, not fight. Just because people feel strongly about an issue, or have passionate political beliefs doesn't mean you can't have a civil debate about it. Even if a discussion gets "heated" doesn't necessarily make it an argument.

Our attitude towards sex, our political views and our spiritual beliefs help to define who we are. If you can't talk about those things with family and friends, then who?

And not talking about them, I think, is disastrous.
It leads to:
Uneducated teenagers and unhappy marriages.
Uneducated voters and apathetic citizens.
People who "believe" without knowing what they "believe" in.

I want to talk about SEX, POLITICS, & RELIGION.

But lots of people don't. And only part of them don't want to because they fear an ugly argument. Some don't know anything, and don't want people to know how incredibly ignorant they are. Others are afraid they might be convinced to change their minds. There is a large group of people who don't like to question their beliefs.

I married into a family that values peace above all else. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. But it excludes any conversation on the big 3 topics.

My philosophy: There is a peace that can only be found on the other side of war. And I am always ready to fight that war.

My solution: To blog about it. Which I will be doing from time to time from now on. I would love a 2 way conversation, but a monologue is better then no dialogue at all. Please COMMENT if you feel so moved.

No comments: