Thursday, October 15, 2009

VACCINES


I have been discussing the flu shot as of recently with family and friends and realized that I never blogged about the big time discussion over the major infant vaccines.
I wanted to give Joey less at one time, space them out a bit more, and start a bit late.
But the pediatrician office (several pediatricians practicing together) would not accept you as a new patient unless you agreed to the recommended vaccine schedule. And I really wanted to use that group, as one of the doctors, Dr. Flicker, was both Mark's and my pediatrician growing up. My mother speaks highly of him, and remembers the kindness when my brother Billy died.
But I kinda felt strongly about the vaccines and would have gone shopping if it wasn't for the conversation I had with one of the doctors at the interview. Most OBGYNs or Midwives will tell you to interview your perspective pediatricians and I did and think it is very important.
My pediatrician pointed out all the medical data available showing that the vaccines are safe. There still isn't anything PROVING the link between the vaccines and Autism, especially the mercury free vaccines. But most importantly, I live in Miami, not Nebraska. As a mother, you could maybe feel safe with the concept of your child being protected by those diseases if he or she is surrounded by a population that does vaccinate for them. Who is she going to catch it from?
I live in Miami. There are all sorts of 3rd world immigrants coming over, legally and illegally, all the time. Now I live in a nice neighborhood but that doesn't mean much. Nice neighborhoods are full of cleaning ladies and yardmen from who knows where you may or may not have been vaccinated. Mark is in construction. He drives all over Dade & Broward county and comes in contact with God knows what.
When I considered the risks, both ways, it just seems like it was much more dangerous not to vaccinate my child.
Joey has never had an ill effects after her vaccines, and she will be receiving her first dose of the Flu vaccine this Monday. Mommy will also be getting the flu vaccine, the first time in my life. Daddy doesn't know it yet, but he will get one too.
I know there are some studies that suggest a link, but it is tentative, at best, and still only effects a very small percentage of the population. In the end, you have to way the risks for yourself. I can definitely understand a mom who chooses either way.

No comments: