Thursday, November 5, 2009

STAY-AT-HOME PARENT CORPORATE LADDER

What does it mean to be a stay-at-home parent?

Well, obviously it means a lot of different things for different parents.

But I think of it as my job. Yes, it is the most fun job you can have in the world, but it is also the most demanding, if you are a Type A who sets high standards for yourself.


We know in the business world, that every person doesn't give their full 100% to their job. That is why some people work in data entry their whole loves while others work their way up the corporate ladder.


Here is my stay-at-home parent / business world comparison:

Data Entry/ Janitor / Laborer - As a stay-at-home parent, you are at this bottom level if they only thing you are accomplishing is caring for your child. That includes basic feeding, changing, washing, providing mental and physical stimulation (playing) and most importantly, love. Any person who is new to a job or parenthood is expected to have an adjustment period, but then excel beyond.

Sales / Skilled laborer - For the stay-at-home parent, this includes caring for your child, grocery shopping and cooking dinner. By cooking dinner I mean more then warming up a can of vegetables and a ready-from-the-store chicken.

Mid Management / Crew Foreman- For the stay-at-home parent, all of the above + a decently clean house. This is about as far up the ladder as many employees go. Likewise, this is about as far up the ladder as most stay-at-home parents make it. With pre-k kids at home, cleaning the house while they are awake can be very trying on both the parent and child. Takes a lot of practice to be able to have the house clean without the aid of the other spouse.

Upper management - For the stay-at-home parent, all of the above + being a good spouse and having a social life. If you can make time to get out, go on a date, go on family outings, see friends, then you are doing really good.


CEO - For the stay-at-home parent, all of the above + getting in shape, taking on a hobby (scrapbooking), finding a way to make additional income, volunteering... Basically being 2 people at once. A great parent, and a great, well rounded individual as well.

I think people should always try to be the best that they can be (not just in the army). I'm certainly not at the CEO level, but I'm trying. My progress is uneven, but I'm making strong advancements in all areas of my life.

  • Joey is so ahead in all those books that tell you what your child might be doing by a certain age that I have to read chapters ahead.

  • I keep a clean house, though in honesty, Mark still helps sometimes. But that would be a whole separate post to talk about what a truely awesome father and husband Mark is.
  • I do all the errands, grocery shopping and cooking. And everyone knows that we eat well. No Stoffers in this house. Tonight's menu is Nigerian beef curry.

  • I am almost to pre-baby weight and have no plans on stopping. My goal is to lose another 20 pounds. Anything after that would be vanity.

  • I find time to work for my parents from home, doing calling and computer work. Bringing in that extra income helps make our lives more comfortable.

  • I keep in touch with family and make sure they see Joey. We've been to Ohio twice, and she is only 9 1/2 months. She sees her grandparents and Mom-mom at least once a week. I mail out pictures and video of Joey, keep up with the blog and have started a family history project on ANCESTRY.COM.

  • I am very active in YELP, go out to events, spend time with friends and down in the keys. Joey was in the ocean before she was a month old.
I know it sounds like I'm bragging.

But I actually get teased for trying too hard. For trying to do too many things at once.

"Why can't you just relax?"

"You don't have to do half of what you do."

First, I'm proud at what I've accomplished. Of our child, my good marriage, our home , my weight lose, my great friends... everything. And I know I'm blessed and am very thankful for my family and all my blessings.

Second, I'm a Craven.
I have a need, a pull, a calling, to be the best that I can be.
When I set a goal and accomplish it, it makes me so happy.

I could never live a half-ass life.
Work hard, play hard & die trying.

Live a life worth living.

No comments: