Monday, August 31, 2009

COMMENTARY ON PREVIOUS POSTED ARTICLE

You may have never heard of a glioma until Ted Kennedy got sick and died from it.
I had.
My little brother, Jimmy, died of a gliobastoma multi form when he was 15 in 1999. (I may have spelled something wrong in that)

In the recent months I heard from Kennedy haters about what a wonderful place this would be had he never been born. "His father should have shot that on the headboard instead!" That is a direct quote.
I have also heard all the wonderful things he did, bills he supported, that made life better for millions of Americans.
If he did nothing else besdies bring attention to this diesase by dying from it, I will hold a tender place in my heart for this otherwise lowlife man. But that is me. And this is personal.
Glioma aside, I think he was a pretty sleasy, crooked, worthly guy (can't use the word MAN, because you have to have held a real job at least ONCE in your life you be considered a REAL MAN or WOMAN).
Any of the good that came from him being a representative could have been just as easily acomplished by some other good Democrat holding that office.

Back to the article:
Jimmy had surgery to remove as much of the tumor as they could on Sept 3, 1997. He died on Feb 20, 1999. That is about a year and a half (18 months). The article says that the trials so far have dramatically increased life expectancy. What is dramatic? Months? Years? Quality time, or hospital time? The article says that this new drug plays well with others, and doesn't have as bad of side effects. I would love to read a more in depth article or report on this new drug.
Of course I don't give a rat's ass that it was developed in Cuba, no should it matter. I am beyond saddened that thousands of children per year have missed the oppurtunity to benifit from this drug because of political delay. Children in China were being treated before American children. Being born and raised in Miami, I'm so tired of hearing about big bad Cuba and I  think that opening dialouge and trade with Cuba, ending the embargo, is a good idea.

I cried when I read this article. But I was happy too. Happy that we are one step closer to keeping another family from having to lose a child to this ugly, aggresive form of cancer.

One step closer.

No comments: